Thursday, November 17, 2011

Moving on

I have been going to morse lake beach every morning and evening on the way to and from my shop in order to get some perspective on waterfowl migration as affected by weather patterns.November and march are peak migrational months and both have sudden and radical reversals of weather systems with sometimes a warm flow from the south and sometimes a flow from the north. A tailwind helps migration and a headwind stops it. The loons that were abundant just a few days ago are almost gone. There were 6 or 7 this morning, but only one this evening.
There are new visitors as I saw lots of scaups and buffleheads this morning and evening. I could be wrong, but I think buffleheads have more white meat than scaups.
The horned grebes are mostly gone too.
Tragically, I saw a dead tundra swan on 196th street near Hague road, near the arena where I had been seeing 6 tundra swans on Morse this week. it had evidently collided with a car. It was as big as german shepherd.
There are also large rafts of coots and seagulls gathering about sunset for the night.
The wind today has been more northerly and I think this scoots the loons on. They have had a chance to rest and refuel on the shad in the lake. I will be interesting to see what is happening at summit lake, where it is a little easier to observe from your car, but also father away.
I have been rereading Thoreau, and I am a great believer that observation of everyday events in areas that one passes every day in different seasons and weather conditions is as revealing and interesting as a one time trip to an exotic area.

No comments: