Friday, December 14, 2012

High up in a curly willow

Another day high up in the top of a curly willow tree, cutting the newest growth from the second of perhaps a dozen curly willow trees I will trim this year to satisfy the demand for decorative bunches of curly willows for my customers. The bunches of curly willows I cut during the winter have come to be nearly half of my yearly sales. While the larger pieces of curly willow are used in making willow lamps, trim for willow tables and trim for curly willow picture frames, the bulk are merely bundled into discrete arrangements for use in vases or other container to bring some of nature's beauty into the home. Today's curly willow has been trimmed three times before, and I just approached the new ownersof this home a few days ago. They were gracious enough to allow me to trim this lovely tree again. Curly willow is a hybrid that is very susceptible to disease and to damage by ice storms. It is native to China and only grows where it has been planted after being purchased from a nursery. Curly willows are the most rapidly growing tree I know of, often outgrowing their original planting site. When I do trim them, they seem to especially flourish, becoming fuller and heathier. Tonight after two days of cutting and loading willows, my body is a little sore, but it is a good sore, honest and real. Nice to be out in the sun on a couple of warmer than usual days in December. Ten or so more of these days and I will be ready for the coming year. The flower and patio show and the Country Living show will be here in the blink of an eye.

No comments: