Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Snow buntings

Today I saw a flock of snow buntings along 206th street just east of highway 13, where I have repeatedly seen them in the past. I do not know if I see them there because I look for them or what. I have heard other birders mentioning seeing snow buntings. Our area certainly has enough snow for them. They are in the company of horned larks, but they are even more skittish and flighty. They are the color of dirty snow and blend very well with the area fields.

Right after this I saw a coyote just a few hundred yards from Ricker's in Lapel. I hung out at the shop near the fire and saw a Cooper's hawk flying horizontally after a flock of starlings and a moment later saw him flying the other way with a starling in his grip. All this was witnessed through the front windows of the shop.

I have been busy cutting up firewood and making corkscrew willow garden tripods thinking about the coming spring. Next week I'll load up to go down to the Indiana State Museum for the Eleventh Indiana Art fair. I hope the weather is not like it is today. I do not think the groundhog saw his shadow the other day as it would be impossible for him to tunnel his way out of the drifts.

The days are getting longer, and the more this weather lasts, the more sudden and magical spring will seem. I cannot wait!!

No comments: