Monday, March 24, 2014

Final pussywillow harvest

Today I took a drive to Deerfield, Indiana where I made an initial trim of two large pussywillows last year. After an initial trimming the trees have produced an incredible number of new pussywillow shoots and I took advantage and got my ladder and cut perhaps half a ton of shoots, way more than enough to satisfy my needs for this year. The folks who live there have been gracious enough to allow me to do this. It was a cool but sunny day and when I finished I was sweating and had to change my shirt to keep from getting chilled on the way home.

I was able to stop by the Bartonia Restaurant for a walleye lunch in the earthy setting of this restaurant in the middle of nowhere. I was unable to spare the time to stop by Summit Lake as I would have liked. The ice is probably off and there should be a good variety of ducks there.

On the way I went through Snow Hill, Saratoga, Fairview and saw lots of farmers clearing their fencerows and burning the brush. The earth still shows absolutely no sign of any life or sign of spring except for the pussywillows.

The rest of this week will be spent bundling up what I have gathered and getting ready for this coming weekend at the Fourth annual Indiana Artisan Marketplace. I will be doing a demonstration of making children's loveseats. The frames I will use were made from the trimmings from the Deerfield pussywillows I cut last year. Nothing goes to waste.

I am hoping the weather breacks soon as I am nearly out of firewood, which seems incredible. I have burnt a tremendous amount during this brutal endless winter.

No comments: