Friday, March 21, 2014

Plainfield Library Arts Gala

Support the library while supporting the arts at the library’s second annual Arts Gala fundraiser, March 21 – 23. Original pieces in a variety of media and styles created by local artists will be for sale. Individuals, businesses, and organizations who become Patrons of the Arts by pledging to purchase items ranging in price from $50 and up are invited to attend the Starlight Reception on Friday, March 21, from 6:30 – 9:00pm. During this exclusive event Patrons of the Arts will enjoy a first look at items available for purchase, a variety of local craft beers and wines, and a sampling of hors d’oeuvres from local eateries. New this year: Patrons of the Arts will also enjoy a live performance by the Hendricks County Symphony String Quartet and a book signing by Dr. Charles Thomas of Chateau Thomas Wineries. The Gala will be open to the public on Saturday, March 22, from 9:00am – 5:00pm and on Sunday, March 23, from 1:00 – 5:00pm. For more information contact Joanna Carter by email at jcarter@plainfieldlibrary.net or by phone at (317) 839-6602 ext. 2159.

 I took a selection of my handmade rustic willow furniture to the Plainfield library today for their second Arts Gala featuring work by 85 artists. As always, the coordinator Laura Appleby was wonderfully helpful and she and the rest of the staff made me feel very welcome. It was great to have a bunch of sweet ladies do the heavy lifting of getting my stuff upstairs and situated. They always put the maximum effort into showing the artists work in the best possible light and are very positive and upbeat. It is a pleasure to work with such professionals. A feature this show provides is that the artist does not need to be present. In this way, I can keep my shop in Lapel open during the weekend and not miss any sales. It was a beautiful day and if I had been better prepared I would have been able to cut a load of willows as the area is thick with them. Regrettably, I did not bring a change of shoes and I was wearing my new ones that I am trying to not destroy by plunging into a wet muddy willow patch.

No comments: