Thursday, August 28, 2014

Fall update

The yellowing leaves of the walnut and tulip trees falling along the roads signals the upcoming changing of the seasons. There are yellow patches in the soybean fields and the spider webs are very visible in the morning dew.

Above average rains have made the trees and foliage very lush this year and have kept me out of the swollen White River, which resembles the Williewonka chocolate river.

I have been working on a run of birchbark picture frames and a run of vases upholstered with fabric and leather in an effort to use up recycled material that I have accumulated. I have also built a couple of new arbors to replace the ones I use for rentals at weddings. I have several scheduled and just did one at Mounds park. Late summer/fall seems to be the time for weddings these days.

This year I have decided not to do the Country Living Fair in Columbus, Ohio as the fees have steadily risen to the point that it is impractical. The show had become a tremendous chore that took Linda and I away from our home for four very intense days of small sales that while lucrative just got to be too much.

This year I will do the Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience at Ft. Harrison. I will be part of Traditional Arts Indiana's group of eight traditional artisans who will demonstrate their craft during the show. This will take place September 20-21, 10-6. The event is free. Further information is avaiable at in.gov/DNR/5009.htm. This event is very kid friendly and is designed to open up the world of outdoor activities. I will be building my handmade rustic willow furniture.

I will also be at Bear's Mill in Greenville, Ohio for their fall open house October 4-5. This month's issue of Midwest Living shows a nice photo of the lovely mill, also showing one of the arbors I sold them last year. Bear's Mill is about 75 miles east of my shop down the quiet drive through Indiana and Ohio farmland along Us 36. Go to bearsmill.com for details.

The Nickel Plate boys will take their art to Parke County for an experimental event at one of our friends places near Mansfield and Bridgeton near Groundhog Falls during the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival October 11-19. Details for this are still being formulated. More later.

In the meantime, I will be looking for butterflies, which have been somewhat scarce this year.

No comments: