Tuesday, September 9, 2014

September afternoon

After coughing my head off for a week I finally went to the doctor and after getting and allergy shot, I am finally starting to feel better. I have completed the run of vases after nailing a thousand upholstery nails in them and as the river has cleared up, I went for a hour of fishing at Perkinsville.

One of my favorite things is to be able to witness rare transparent water where all the details of the river bottom can be seen. The sandy rock-strewn river with shadows of late afternoon sun while I am waist deep in the cool water really has a great appeal for me, probably because it is so rare. The river is more often cloudy with algae or sediment, but not today.

I was able to catch six or seven very vigorous smallmouth and a half dozen rock bass, who are not nearly the fighters. They are both very colorful. I wish I was able to photograph them as I am putting them in and letting them free, but I can see disaster for my camera if I tried.

I saw some Tennessee warblers and wood ducks as well as the familiar rattle of my kindred spirits, the Kingfishers. I have been seeing a few nighthawks here and there, but they really seem to be on the decline.

Earlier in the day I went to Knott's Well near Frankton to fill up my jugs. I have been out of the wonderful spring water for a while and have had to drink store-bought water and tap water. I had forgotten how much better the spring water is and it was wonderful to guzzle the stony tasting cold water. The well itself is a treat to visit. I noted that the pussywillow trees I planted about ten years ago by pushing a few sticks in the ground are really thriving. The weeping willow planted by the Knott's just a few years ago has grown to an amazing size in just a few years. Such a lovely calming place to visit. It is one of Madison county's hidden gems.

No comments: