Thursday, June 4, 2015

Shakamak

I spent last weekend on a fishing trip to Shakamak State Park in southwestern Indiana with my brother-in-law Jerry Haverstick and his sons Gant and Gavin. The weather was terrible, cold and drizzly and dim, but we fished hard and came up with enough fish for a fish fry which we will have later. Before the trip I refitted my nearly forty year old canoe and it was great to get the WANDA KING back in the water. I have neglected to use her for several years, but I hope to remedy this. I have travelled hundreds of miles on Indiana waterways in this vessel and have certainly have gotten my money's worth. The seats I installed make it a relaxing ride.

Though the weather was less than ideal, we had a good time and saw tons of birds. I have never been so close to pileated woodpeckers and prothonotary warblers. The lake was very quiet and the park has changed little since I first went there in the early 70's. Jerry has been coming here continuously since 1965 and had brought his boys here every year since they were babies. He and his boys are terrific outdoor partners and we had a great time sitting around the fire. We also again encountered some guys from Illinois that we first met last year. They are wild and crazy guys and we felt sedate and tame in comparison. They are expert smokers of meat and drinkers of whiskey and were eager to share with us.

I am grateful to have been invited on this trip and am hoping that my son and grandson will be able to join us next year.

No comments: