Monday, August 31, 2015

White River Smallmouth

After a week of cool weather, higher temperatures and dry conditions have led to nearly ideal conditions on White river. I was able to take advantage and headed out with three dozen nightcrawlers. The water was much lower and the current was not so fast and the clarity was as good as I have seen. I fished from 1-4 pm at the Perkinsville access in Madison county just a short distance from Bonge's Tavern. I caught a couple dozen footlong Smallmouth and a couple twice that size. They all fought like tigers and my arm is a little sore, but I am not complaining. I was able to see the fish swimming around some of the big boulders resting on a gravel bottom. They flash their sides as a territorial display. It is a wonderful fleeting sight to see.

There were kayakers taking advantage of the lovely conditions. Kelsey from Slice of Heaven Cakery and her friend scooted quickly down the river, laughing all the way. I have crossed paths with them a half dozen times and it appears we are on the same wavelength.

I was so glad to be able to take advantage of the last day of August, traditionally the best fishing month of the year. Wading the river as I do without dangerous waders requires hot days, and there will not be many more as cooler weather will soon be here.

No comments: