Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Pussywillow time

Although I have dried pussywillows in stock all year round, it is always exciting to get the fresh new crop and see the cycle of the seasons continue. I spent the day yesterday in lovely Deerfield, Indiana where I have been able to trim the best two pussywillow trees I have ever found each year for the last six or seven years. The more they are trimmed, the better they grow. I will trim perhaps 12-15 trees during the season which only runs three weeks or so.

They will be featured again in the cut flower booth at the entrance to the Indiana Flower and Patio Show. The American Institute of Floral Designers will partner with me in bringing a touch of Spring to the dreariness of the back and forth Winter/Spring weather.

Although bundling hundreds of pounds of pussywillows can get monotonous, it is a challenge and provides me with stock for the coming year. I like it that there are few people doing what I do.

As I returned home, I saw two buzzards flying over my house. The grackles returned last week too.

No comments: