Monday, February 22, 2016

Sandhills and redwings

While sitting in my trusty rocking chair in the warm sunshine on the south side of my shop Saturday, I was treated to the spectacular sight and sound of thousands of Sandhills flying directly over the shop in wave after wave. I find it difficult to believe that this is a coincidence. It happens every year. I am usually drawn outside by the sound, but this year I was relaxing trying to get some much needed sun on my winter whitened skin.

The next day I heard the familiar flight call of redwings also flying directly over the shop.
What lovely sights to start the spring.

I have been trying to reorganize the chaotic heap of firewood both outside and in. Though Spring is here, there will still be cold days needing a fire. I have appreciated the warmer than normal Winter and my new stove is much more efficient and only burns about half as much wood.

I checked on some of my pussy willow trees and the ones that are growing near a wall are starting to come out. The next couple of weeks will be filled with gathering and bundling pussywillow for the cut flower booth at the Flower and Patio show.

I attended the Cool Creek Nature Center's art show Nature's Inspiration and enjoyed hanging out with director Amanda Smith and her lovely family and some of my artist friends. I was blown away by the quality of the entries. My buddy Bruce Neckar got a second place ribbon. This is an exhibit not to be missed.

No comments: