Friday, August 10, 2012

Fence

Thursday I completed a rustic curly willow fence around a Japanese garden that will showcase one of my slab benches. Thankfully, the rains came before I had to dig nine postholes. If you have never dug a three foot hole with a postholes digger, the next day it feels like someone has tried to tear your arms and legs off. Sixty-five year old guys should probably not try to do this. Anyway, the rain softened up the ground so it was not too bad. I cannot imagine what it would be like to dig into the concrete-like ground before the rain. Things went smoothly, I had everything I needed on hand and the client was very happy with the finished product. Today I set a few things up at the Gruenwald house in Anderson. They have a luncheon several times during the summer and though things are never great as far as sales go, it is very classy and I am a sucker for historic preservation events. I was able to work on some of the leather covered treasure boxes I have been making from plywood and leather scraps. They are covered with brass upholstery nails and have medieval look, and it is great to do something very different from my usual handmade rustic willow furniture. I made nine boxes and have finished six. There is always a learning curve but I am encouraged by the results. Tomorrow I will deliver a load of my handmade rustic willow furniture to a home near Geist that is being staged for sale by my friend Kate McCarty. I will decorate a large pergola area and it would provide a good amount of exposure for my handmade rustic willow furniture. So wonderful that the weather has broken. Everyone seems to be in a better mood and the world seems freshened.

No comments: