Thursday, July 18, 2013

Great Crested Flycatcher nesting behavior

My regular visits to Lafayette Trace boat ramp paid off yesterday when I was treated to the experience of watching the pair of great crested flycatchers taking eggshells from their nest. They both flew across the river several times with eggshells in their beaks. This looks like it would thwart a predator from finding their nest, a very beneficial evolutionary behavior. Busy multitasking parents that they are, they brought insects back to the nest on the return trip. I am hopeful that I will be able to see the nestlings fledge. The nest is inside a hole in a sycamore and I am unable to see inside.

Thoreau often remarked that if you really want to see change, it is not necessary to travel to faraway places. Even though my visits to places in my area are somewhat mundane, over time, many drastic changes are often visible. Thrashing through a wooded area would never allow one to experience the subtle daily, and sometime extreme changes.

No comments: